Re: What Linux edition we should chose?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What Linux edition we should chose?
Date: 2010-05-31 15:34:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it> writes:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 08:47:25 -0600
> Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Pgsql is pretty easy to build from source.

> Yeah it is. But what is it going to be an upgrade process? On a
> production box?

If it makes you feel better, build your own RPMs (or
$package-style-of-choice). This is actually a pretty good idea if you
are on a package-manager-based platform, as it makes it far simpler to
keep track of exactly what you've got installed. It's generally not
hard to take the source package supplied by your distro and stick a
new minor-release source tarball into it.