Re: Adding "large" to PG_TEST_EXTRA

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding "large" to PG_TEST_EXTRA
Date: 2023-02-13 18:54:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> As part of that I'd like to add tests for relation extension. To be able to
> test the bulk write strategy path, we need to have a few backends concurrently
> load > 16MB files.
> It seems pretty clear that doing that on all buildfarm machines wouldn't be
> nice / welcome. And it also seems likely that this won't be the last case
> where that'd be useful.
> So I'd like to add a 'large' class to PG_TEST_EXTRA, that we can use in tests
> that we only want to execute on machines with sufficient resources.

Makes sense. I see that this approach would result in manual check-world
runs not running such tests by default either, which sounds right.

Bikeshedding a bit ... is "large" the right name? It's not awful but
I wonder if there is a better one; it seems like this class could
eventually include tests that run a long time but don't necessarily
eat disk space. "resource-intensive" is too long.