Re: lib and share are installed differently, but why?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mario Emmenlauer <mario(at)emmenlauer(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lib and share are installed differently, but why?
Date: 2021-08-30 14:24:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Mario Emmenlauer <mario(at)emmenlauer(dot)de> writes:
> I've been building and using PostgreSQL from source for a few years
> now, thanks for the awesome work!

> Since upgrading from 12.5 to 12.8, I've found a problem that I can
> not resolve myself. We build PostgreSQL twice, once to folder A, and
> once to folder B. This is because A is more easily deployable, while
> B holds all our development build targets. The only difference in
> the two builds is the change in `--prefix` for configure. Everything
> else is identical, and both builds start from a clean directory.

> But I see a difference in the installations:
> - The contents of `share` go to A/share/ vs B/share/postgresql/
> - The contents of `lib` go to B/lib vs B/lib/postgresql/

You didn't say exactly what "A" and "B" stand for, but I'll bet
that the string "A" includes "pgsql" or "postgres". Makefile.global
makes some installation path changes when that's not true, e.g.

pkglibdir = $(libdir)
ifeq "$(findstring pgsql, $(pkglibdir))" ""
ifeq "$(findstring postgres, $(pkglibdir))" ""
override pkglibdir := $(pkglibdir)/postgresql
endif
endif

This behavior is pretty ancient; I'm quite sure it didn't change
between 12.5 and 12.8. So I speculate that you made some change
in your build process that you didn't mention.