Re: Pg V10: Patch for bug in bonjour support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Luke Lonergan <luke(at)brightforge(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pg V10: Patch for bug in bonjour support
Date: 2017-11-09 04:03:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Hm, the library on F25 is also avahi's. Digging in the archives, I find
>> this old thread reporting the same behavior:
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/17824.1252293423%40sss.pgh.pa.us

> FWIW it builds and starts up fine on FreeBSD with
> mDNSResponder-878.1.1 installed (Apache-licensed Apple Bonjour code)
> and the mdnsd daemon started. If I don't start mdnsd it shows an
> error at startup. When built against the (conflicting)
> avahi-libdns-0.6.31_2 package it shows the WARNING you reported and
> "DNSServiceRegister() failed: error code -65537", which might just
> mean it wants to talk to some daemon I'm not running.

Interesting. Fedora doesn't seem to package mDNSResponder as such ---
"dnf search mDNSResponder" just returns more pointers to avahi:

avahi-compat-libdns_sd.x86_64 : Libraries for Apple Bonjour mDNSResponder
: compatibility
avahi-compat-libdns_sd.i686 : Libraries for Apple Bonjour mDNSResponder
: compatibility
avahi-compat-libdns_sd-devel.x86_64 : Header files for the Apple Bonjour
: mDNSResponder compatibility libraries
avahi-compat-libdns_sd-devel.i686 : Header files for the Apple Bonjour
: mDNSResponder compatibility libraries

Is the AC_SEARCH_LIBS configure call needed to make PG build with the
FreeBSD package?