Re: pg_dump option to dump only functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Sean Utt" <sean(at)strateja(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: pg_dump option to dump only functions
Date: 2005-10-08 22:03:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I was wonderring, because I create a lot of server side utility functions,
>> whether adding an option to pg_dump to just dump functions has been
>> considered. I did a quick perusal of the code, and noted that there is a
>> separate section within pg_dump to get the functions, but it is not able to
>> be triggered separately from schema and data. Any reason why this wouldn't
>> be a good(tm) idea?

> It would be an *excellent* idea, along with options to dump specific
> functions, and both specific and all views/types/operators. Go for it.

I kinda thought we had a TODO entry for that already, but I see we
don't.

Another thing you'd find yourself wanting very quickly is an option to
follow dependencies, ie "dump these objects plus everything they depend
on". Otherwise you'd have to find the dependencies manually, which
would get real tedious in any complex schema.

Proposed TODO entries for pg_dump:

* Allow selection of individual object(s) of all types, not just tables
* In a selective dump, allow dumping of all dependencies of the objects