Re: too much pgbench init output

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: too much pgbench init output
Date: 2012-09-05 03:31:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 23:14 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> Actually, this whole things seems like a solution in search of a
> problem to me. We just reduced the verbosity of pgbench -i tenfold in
> the very recent past - I would have thought that enough to address
> this problem. But maybe not.

The problem is that

a) It blasts out too much output and everything scrolls off the screen,
and

b) There is no indication of where the end is.

These are independent problems, and I'd be happy to address them
separately if there are such specific concerns attached to this.

Speaking of tenfold, we could reduce the output frequency tenfold to
once every 1000000, which would alleviate this problem for a while
longer.