pgpool

From: David Pinkerton <david(dot)pinkerton(at)betteroff(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgpool
Date: 2012-08-27 03:25:05
Lists: pgsql-novice

First let me prefix this with "I'm not a DBA, I am a Linux Sys Admin"

Could someone provide a simple overview for me.

We have a postgres 9.0 server which is about to run out of diskspace. I have built a new server and and set up a play virtual server so I can experiment with pgpool.
I can create a db on the new server and populate it. Data appears on the virtual.

So far so good.

My question(s)...

1) how do I force the replication an existing database? (preference is zero downtime)
2) where do i install pg-pool if I want to rebuild the original server and then have load balancing across the 2 physical servers?
3) do i need to change all my scripts to talk on the pg-pool (ie. 9999 ) port instead of postgres (5432) or do I make postgres listen on loopback and have pg-pool bind to the external ip (assuming its installed on the same server)?

The documents on the wiki seem to jump from the one line descriptions of what the software can do, straight into configuration.

Is there a scenario documents anywhere, that can show pro's and con's of each setup mode and is written in non-dba speak.

Regards

David Pinkerton

  • Re: pgpool at 2012-08-28 13:51:41 from Merlin Moncure