Re: BUG #4958: Stats collector hung on WaitForMultipleObjectsEx while attempting to recv a datagram

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Luke Koops <luke(dot)koops(at)entrust(dot)com>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4958: Stats collector hung on WaitForMultipleObjectsEx while attempting to recv a datagram
Date: 2012-08-25 04:55:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of sáb ago 25 00:10:57 -0400 2012:

> > It looks sane to me in a quick once-over (bearing in mind I can't test
> > it). What's bothering you about the ereport calls?
>
> Well, 9.1 currently has:
>
> errmsg_internal("failed to enumerate network events: %i", (int) GetLastError()))
>
> Prior to your patch, master had:
>
> errmsg_internal("failed to enumerate network events: error code %lu",
> GetLastError())
>
> And you changed it to:
>
> elog(ERROR, "failed to enumerate network events: error code %u",
> WSAGetLastError())
>
> So obviously there's a conflict there. In the previously-posted
> version, I chose to just take your version, but I'm not sure whether
> it would be better -- in the back branches -- to simply replace
> GetLastError() with WSAGetLastError() and leave it alone otherwise.

Note that for translations none of this matters, because
errmsg_internal() does not mark its argument for translation, and
neither does elog().

The change of %i to "error code %lu" was done recently (during 9.2 devel
cycle) to make all error messages involving GetLastError() consistent;
see commit 1af55e275.