Re: BI tools and postgresql

From: Vincent Veyron <vv(dot)lists(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
To: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jacqui Caren <jacqui(dot)caren(at)ntlworld(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BI tools and postgresql
Date: 2012-07-29 12:16:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Le dimanche 29 juillet 2012 à 12:47 +0200, Alban Hertroys a écrit :
> On 29 Jul 2012, at 11:56, Vincent Veyron wrote:

> If upper management is any good, they'll be happy to have a chat about the situation and keep an eye out and a direct line to your people open, so that they can hear both sides. He's probably not on their radar right now.

Well, in that case upper management is made of elected officials (this
is an administration for a medium-sized city in France).

The way it works is :

-upper management somehow decides to budget a _large_(*) amount of money
for an application for the legal department. Budgeting always takes
places in december of year N-1, nothing can be put in after that.

-every year, a bidding procedure for some city takes place in may/june
of year N, and is won after a few meetings (always by the same company),
coincidentally a little less than the amount allotted six months before
that...

No bidding is needed for my application, which is priced at a tenth of
the average budget, and below the legal limit that triggers the
procedure. Strangely though, it appears strictly impossible to get a
couple thousand euros to test it in the service for a year.

So the alpha male is probably obeying his masters (the manager who took
my product and was sidelined is a union representative). It looks like I
am going to need luck, indeed ;-)

(* : average is 50 000 euros, with ~20 000 euros maintenance per year
for the foreseeable future + licences ; and for a crappy application I'm
told; larger cities will commend muuuch larger bills )

--
Vincent Veyron
http://vincentveyron.com/