Postgresql Developer Privileges

From: hartrc <rhart2(at)mt(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgresql Developer Privileges
Date: 2012-07-27 19:30:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Postgresql v9.1.4
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server SP2

In my agency we have application developers who do most of the database
design/development themselves (not my choice) in the development environment
but do not administer the database. Therefore I want developers to be able
to create & drop tables, create & drop indexes, views, triggers, procedures
sequences etc. But I don’t want them to be able to create login roles or
shutdown the database or drop schemas.
Basically they need to be a “power user” but definitely not a superuser. The
main issue I’m having in Postgresql is that I can give them permission to
create objects in a schema but not drop objects if they are not the owner. I
don’t want all developers to use a shared login role or have access to a
superuser account. Also I don’t think it makes sense for the developers to
really own the object themselves.
Is there a way to achieve the following?

Basically each developer has their own login role
Developers can create and drop objects in schemas in which they have create
privileges granted.
Developers can drop objects created by other developers
Developers do not own the objects themselves

Thank You
Rob