Re: AW: FATAL ERROR

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: MichaelRoth(at)schmuecker(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: FATAL ERROR
Date: 2001-06-12 20:02:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Michael Roth" <MichaelRoth(at)schmuecker(dot)de> writes:
> Here are two logfiles, one in debuglevel 2, one
> in debuglevel 5.

Sending a couple hundred K to the whole list probably wasn't the thing
to do (but maybe Marc will reject the posting and save other people the
load on their mailboxes).

Anyway, I can't see any sign here that the backend thinks anything is
wrong, up till the time it gets bogus input from the client. I assume
the queries shown in the log correspond to what you expect the client
application to be issuing?

I think that you need to look to the client side to figure out the
problem. Since you said you were using PHP scripts on a webserver,
my best guess is that you are having troubles with reusing a shared
connection to a backend --- that is, multiple scripts are interfering
with each other and causing fragmentary commands to be sent down the
connection.

I don't know anything about PHP myself, but you can find discussions
about this in the Postgres mail list archives. I recall seeing
something about it just a day or two ago (unfortunately I forget which
list).

I have a very vague recollection that trying to share a connection with
'pconnect' doesn't work reliably except in the latest PHP releases.
Better dig around and check that before you believe it, however.

regards, tom lane