Re: create table from regular expressions applied to rows of multiple tables

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: e-letter <inpost(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create table from regular expressions applied to rows of multiple tables
Date: 2012-06-15 23:36:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 23:22 +0100, e-letter wrote:
> Readers,
>
> Tables contains text:
>
> table1
> text1, 10
> text2, 20
> text3, 30
> text4, 40
>
> table2
> text2, textB 20
> text3, textC 30
> text5, textD 50
> text6, textE 60
> text7, textF 70
> text8, textG 80
>
> Is it possible to create a new table (table3) using a regular
> expression (e.g. ^text*) to select rows which are of the same table
> format as table2:
>
> table3
> text2, textB 20
> text3, textC 30

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking. Your example
table3 could also be produced by a simple inner join:

SELECT table1.col1, table2.col2
FROM table1, table2
WHERE table1.col1 = table2.col1;

But postgresql also offers a lot of regular expression functions, too.
See:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/functions-string.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/functions-matching.html

Or post a more detailed example to show what you are looking for.

Regards,
Jeff Davis