Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Run pgindent on 9.2 source tree in preparation for first 9.3

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Run pgindent on 9.2 source tree in preparation for first 9.3
Date: 2012-06-11 21:57:41
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of lun jun 11 15:44:16 -0400 2012:

Well, you wrote the instructions yourself :-)

> > files in the source tree -- we also have the genbki stuff, for example.
> > (There is already some inconsistency in tabs/spaces in genbki.pl
> > already)
>
> I was not aware of them. If you want them run, would you update the
> pgindent README to mention them please?

What about something like this in the root of the tree:
find . -name \*.pl -o -name \*.pm | xargs perltidy -b -bl -nsfs -naws -l=100 -ole=unix

There are files all over the place. The file that would most be
affected with one run of this is the ECPG grammar generator.

I checked the "-et=4" business (which is basically entab). We're pretty
inconsistent about tabs in perl code it seems; some files use tabs
others use spaces. Honestly I would just settle on what we use on C
files, even if the Perl devs don't recommend it "because of
maintainability and portability". I mean if it works well for us for C
code, why would it be a problem in Perl code? However, I don't write
much of that Perl code myself.

> > > If you would like 'entab' run on the Perl files, let me know.
> >
> > Whatever perltidy emits is fine with me, but should we consider passing
> > -et=4 to perltidy?
>
> No idea. I do not work in those files enough to have an opinion.

What do others think? Maybe I'm just being obnoxious here for no useful
gain.