database in different location owned by different user

From: bradawk <vanordenb(at)varentech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: database in different location owned by different user
Date: 2012-06-01 16:00:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm very new to PostgreSQL. So, I apologize if this seems trivial. :)

I have a RHEL 5 system on which I have installed PostgreSQL 8.4.9 from rpms.
The developers use the 'appdev' account for all of their common activities.
All of their files/applications I restrict to the file system under /tp. I
want to give appdev full rights over a database hosted at /tp/db. The /tp
directory (and all below it are owned by appdev). I've done:

chkconfig --level 5 postgresql on
service postgresql initdb
service postgresql start
su - postgres
psql -d template1 -U postgres
CREATE ROLE appdev SUPERUSER CREATEDB CREATEROLE INHERIT LOGIN PASSWORD
'somepassw';
\q
service postgresql restart
su - appdev
psql -d template1 -U appdev

I'm not really sure how to create the datbase. I tried:

CREATE TABLESPACE Jira OWNER appdev LOCATION '/tp/db';
but it tells me that it could not set permissions on "tp/db."

I tried:

CREATE DATABASE jira WITH OWNER = appdev TEMPLATE = DEFAULT TABLESPACE =
Jira;

Any clues on how I create a database in a non-standard location owned by a
user other than postgres?

Thanks!
I'm not really sure how to create the database from here.