Installing PGCRYPTO and using functions

From: Anoop Koshy <anoop_alex(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Installing PGCRYPTO and using functions
Date: 2012-05-24 06:39:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have installed the windows version of PostgreSQL 8.4. Loging in as the superuser everytime. I want to use the enryption functions to mask some of sensitive columns. I have created the necessary bytea columns, run the pgcrypto SQL (without any errors). Logged off and on again. But cant get it to work. Can someone provide pointers to :
1) How to convert the string input to bytea (i.e. encrypted) data?
2) How to revert the data?
3) Is it necessary to revert to do validations?

Anoop Alex,
Trivandrum, INDIA