SQL key word list and SQL:2011

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SQL key word list and SQL:2011
Date: 2012-05-19 18:00:52
Lists: pgsql-docs

I'm updating the SQL key word list in the appendix. Since there is now
SQL:2011, this should be included in the table. But we're running out
of horizontal space. We currently have

Key word | PostgreSQL | SQL:2008 | SQL:2003 | SQL:1999 | SQL-92

In the PDF, we have space for about 5 columns, and currently the SQL-92
column is already in the margin. If we add one more column, it falls
off the page.

What I'd suggest is that we keep only the SQL:2011 column. The
differences from 2003 to 2011 aren't that great that it's very useful to
analyze the differences, and 1999 and 1992 are really only of
archeological interest. (For example, it's not going to be of any
practical relevance to attempt to use a key word that was unreserved in
1999 but reserved later. A number of other vendors will have reserved
it by now as well.) We would, however, lose a few key words that were
reserved in earlier versions of the standard but then removed (e.g.,
BIT). Maybe those could be added with a note or something.

Thoughts?