Update For Outdated Win98

From: BGoebel <b(dot)goebel(at)prisma-computer(dot)de>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Update For Outdated Win98
Date: 2012-05-08 11:38:07
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I admit, nowadays an exotic szenario:

Running a PostgreSQL client on an Windows 98 machine.

The 9.1 pSQLOdbc Driver uses some Kernel32.DLL functions which were
introduced with WindowsXP.
such as TryEnterCriticalSection().

I updated Windows 98 with KernelEx 4.5.2 http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/
and the brandnew 2011 pSQLOdbc driver runs with our application without a
problem until now. We are using UTF8 Charsets with the psqlodbca.dll, UTF 16
with psqlodbcw.dll might be an issue.

KernelEx is a compatibility layer for running Win2000+ apps.

I have tested it with Win98 running in a VM, but i am sure pSQLODBC will
work with a real machine too.

Special thanks go to Hiroshi Inoue for his hint.