plpgsql is not ready for prime time

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: plpgsql is not ready for prime time
Date: 1998-10-04 20:00:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

... it does not build on HPUX, nor on any other platform that requires
specialized switches to build shared libraries. I recommend the author
consult the makefile for libpq, and transpose the necessary fooling
around into plpgsql. (On HPUX it fails for lack of -fPIC in the compile
commands for the pl/plpgsql/src subdirectory; there might also be
problems in the link command, but the compile commands are certainly
wrong.)

We have enough different shared libraries now that it'd be a good idea
to try to eliminate most of that cruft from the individual module
makefiles, replacing it with definitions made in the port makefiles.
But it's a bit too late in the 6.4 beta cycle to try to do that for 6.4,
I think --- the testing problem looms too large. Something for next time.

BTW there is also a configuration check that needs to be applied: the
pl/tcl subdirectory should be built only if a *shared library* version
of Tcl is available. I happen to have only a static version of libtcl.a
installed, which is fine for pgtclsh, but pl/tcl tries to link with it
and falls over...

If this stuff can't be fixed properly before 6.4 release, I suggest
making plpgsql an optional component that is only built if suitable
switches are provided to configure.