Re: Last gasp

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Alex <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Jay Levitt <jay(dot)levitt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Last gasp
Date: 2012-04-16 01:40:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Alex's message of dom abr 15 01:52:16 -0300 2012:

> Jay Levitt <jay(dot)levitt(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>
> > Alex wrote:
> >> I didn't follow this whole thread, but have we considered Redmine[1]?
> >
> > As the resident "Ruby is shiny, let's do everything in Rails on my
> > MacBook" guy, I'd like to make a statement against interest: I've
> > tried Redmine a few times and it's been painful. Much of the codebase
> > is deprecated, it's slow, it has no meaningful search (in 2012?!),
> > I've seen wiki edits disappear, and at the moment pulling up its own
> > FAQ page at redmine.org times out.
>
> Yay, that's totally FUD to me.

I've used Redmine a lot, as you know, and I only keep using it because
it's a requirement at work. It is certainly not close to usable for
general pgsql stuff. (Trac, which we used to use prior to Redmine, was
certainly much worse, though).

I can't say that it's all that slow, or that there's a problem with the
code, or that the search doesn't work right (and I've never had a wiki
edit disappear, either, and I've used that a lot). It's just the wrong
tool altogether.