Re: bug tracking system

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nathan Wagner <nw+pg(at)hydaspes(dot)if(dot)org>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bug tracking system
Date: 2019-02-07 18:36:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nathan Wagner <nw+pg(at)hydaspes(dot)if(dot)org> writes:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2019 at 10:50:51PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I do have a modest proposal for improving things going forward. How
>> about, if a commit purports to fix a particular bug, that we say
>> "Fixes: https://postgr.es/m/<message-id>" in place of our current
>> habit of saying "Discussion: ...". For bugs that have come in through
>> the bug form, the bug number is trivially extractable from the
>> message-id these days;

> The bug number would only be extractable from the message-id of the
> first message. This proposal would require finding the message-id of
> the original message, rather than just looking at the subject of any
> message in the thread. That seems like more work than is really
> necessary.

The existing convention is already to cite the message-id of the start
of the thread. I proposed this exactly because it's no more work than
before for the committer.

> A bigger question, at least for me is do people actually want to use the
> system I've set up?

Yeah, that's really the bottom line here --- there's been a lot of
"if you build it they will come" theorizing about bug trackers,
but we have little evidence either way about how people would really
use one.