Do we need "Diagnostics" sections of SQL command reference pages?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Do we need "Diagnostics" sections of SQL command reference pages?
Date: 2003-08-25 21:37:50
Lists: pgsql-docs

I'm starting to look at updating the docs to match 7.4 error message
spellings. I find that a large part of the work I'll have to do is in
updating the "Diagnostics" (formerly "Outputs") section of the command
reference pages. I am wondering if it wouldn't be better to just rip
out these sections entirely. They seem like nearly content-free fluff
to me --- the listings of possible error messages are always incomplete,
often out of date, and arguably useless. If there is an error message
that's not clear enough by itself, we'd better fix the error message
instead of putting a gloss on it in the reference page.

Comments?