Re: Problem with invalid byte sequence and log_min_error_statement

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Janning Vygen <vygen(at)kicktipp(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with invalid byte sequence and log_min_error_statement
Date: 2009-04-15 17:21:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Janning Vygen <vygen(at)kicktipp(dot)de> writes:
> Now i see that the errors occur _exactly_ every 4000 seconds (1 hour, 6
> minutes and 40 seconds). I have no clue as i only have one cronjob at night
> concerning postgresql. I have no autovacuum running (only manual at night). my
> application cronjobs are only running at night. i have a few threads but no
> thread has a sleep time of 4000 millis, besides the fact that they all work
> fine. Maybe i have to check my c3p0 pool. however, i know i have to search for
> my own, as you can't look into my app. But maybe someone has a hint, that
> something inside or outside postgresql is usually running every 4000
> seconds?

There's nothing inside of postgres that would operate on such a
schedule. Furthermore, unless I'm all wet about where the error is
coming from, this *must* be happening during receipt of a command from
an external client.

Perhaps turning on log_connections would give you a clue about what it
is. Also set log_line_prefix to make sure you can match up the error
report with the previous connection log entry (adding the PID is usually
enough).