Re: version problem with pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
Cc: Brian Kitzberger <KITZBERGERB(at)mail(dot)co(dot)stanislaus(dot)ca(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: version problem with pg_dump
Date: 2006-03-23 22:26:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com> writes:
> Brian Kitzberger wrote:
>> It worked fine. I was able to create a database from a DDL I wrote and
>> do insert into the tables and selects with correct results. So I was
>> testing the pg_dump with I ran into problems.

> And had you run /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump it would have worked fine
> as well. But /usr/local/pgsql/bin is probably not in your $PATH at all
> let alone existing ahead of /usr/bin so just running pg_dump loaded the
> incorrect version.

For that matter, he was presumably running the 7.4 version of psql and
so on, which means that those things also only worked for rather small
values of "work" --- a lot of psql 7.4's backslash commands would likely
fail against an 8.1 server for instance.

> My quick-n-dirty "fix" is to make symbolic links in /usr/bin for all pg
> programs:

The *right* solution if you're using an RPM-based Linux distro is to
grab an RPM distribution of Postgres; trying to make end runs around RPM
is a great way to turn your system into a hopeless mess.