Re: PANIC: corrupted item pointer

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Janning Vygen <vygen(at)kicktipp(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PANIC: corrupted item pointer
Date: 2012-03-30 18:24:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 16:02 +0200, Janning Vygen wrote:
> The PANIC occurred first on March, 19. My servers uptime ist 56 days, so
> about 4th of February. There was no power failure since i started to use
> this machine. This machine is in use since March, 7. I checked it twice:
> Now power failure.

Just to be sure: the postgres instance didn't exist before you started
to use it, right?

> > Did you get the PANIC and WARNINGs on the primary or the replica? It
> > might be worth doing some comparisons between the two systems.
>
> It only happend on my primary server. My backup server has no suspicious
> log entries.

Do you have a full copy of the two data directories? It might be worth
exploring the differences there, but that could be a tedious process.

> It is pretty obvious to me the segmentation fault is the main reason for
> getting the PANIC afterwards. What can cause a segmentation fault? Is
> there anything to analyse further?

It's clear that they are connected, but it's not clear that it was the
cause. To speculate: it might be that disk corruption caused the
segfault as well as the PANICs.

Do you have any core files? Can you get backtraces?

Regards,
Jeff Davis