Re: Finer Extension dependencies

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Finer Extension dependencies
Date: 2012-03-29 18:48:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tor, 2012-03-29 at 14:39 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > but it breaks down when you, say, want to
> > wrap your egg into a Debian package.
>
> *blink* Huh?

Well, you can't represent that mechanism in a Debian (or RPM) package
dependency. So the alternatives are make it a Recommends and add a
free-form explanation somewhere, or make it a hard Depends, thus
overriding the fine-grained dependency setup.

More to the point, I think any mechanism we dream up here that is
smarter than what dpkg or rpm can represent is going to be useful only
in niche situation.