Re: patch for parallel pg_dump

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: patch for parallel pg_dump
Date: 2012-03-28 18:20:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of mié mar 28 14:46:30 -0300 2012:

> I keep hoping someone who knows Windows is going to take a look at
> this, but so far no luck. It could also really use some attention
> from someone who has an actual really big database handy, to see how
> successful it is in reducing the dump time. Without those things, I
> can't see this getting committed. But in the meantime, a few fairly
> minor comments based on reading the code.

My main comment about the current patch is that it looks like it's
touching pg_restore parallel code by moving some stuff into parallel.c.
If that's really the case and its voluminous, maybe this patch would
shrink a bit if we could do the code moving in a first patch. That
would be mostly mechanical. Then the interesting stuff would apply on
top of that. That would make review easier.