Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove dead assignment

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove dead assignment
Date: 2012-03-26 19:29:19
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On mån, 2012-03-26 at 15:15 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> init_sequence(seq_relid, &elm, &seq_rel);
> - seq = read_info(elm, seq_rel, &buf);
> + read_info(elm, seq_rel, &buf);
>

> I have to object to this patch. In the blind service of eliminating
> warnings from some tool or other, you will introduce warnings from
> other tools? It's traditional for lint to complain about code that
> sometimes ignores the return value of a function, for instance.

Yes, but the return value is ignored in this case as well. Just
assigning it doesn't change that.

> I also do not think it does anything for readability for this call
> of read_info() to be unexpectedly unlike all the others.

I do not think that it is good code quality to assign something to a
variable and then assign something different to a variable later in the
same function. It is better, on the other hand, if a function call
looks different if what it's supposed to do is different.

But I don't want to get hung up on this. I thought it was just an
oversight.