Re: Database designer

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database designer
Date: 2012-03-20 22:40:12
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 09:20 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 16:23 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> > Hi

> > > I agree it would be better to not have all of this. This is something I
> > > want to work on, but didn't find the time yet. My main idea was to add a
> > > properties widget to handle the properties of table (and columns).
> >
> > That's one idea. The main thing is to be able to edit everything in
> > one place without having to repeatedly right click to change a
> > different property.
> >

> There is no standard properties widget for 2.8. There is one available
> with a wxWidgets licence, not sure I want to start working on adding it
> to the pgadmin code. And 2.9 has this widget. Probably we'll start with
> a simple dialog, better than the current one, and use the properties
> widgets of 3.0 when it'll come out (their roadmap says summer 2012, but
> it keeps getting postponed, and anyway, even if they do release it in
> 2012, it will be too late for 1.16).

I've been thinking about this. I don't like the idea of displaying a
dialog. I've been doing some experiments on panels, and this is what I
have now. Not pretty, but not done yet. Just an idea of how it might
look like and work. See screenshot attached. Each time you select a
table, this panel is refreshed with the informations from the table. You
can modify the table informations with this panel. I'm wondering if I
should add a OK button. Anyway.

If it seems good to you, then I'll work on this, and propose a patch.
(meaning I'm waiting for an answer before going any further)

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Attachment Content-Type Size