Re: Regarding column reordering project for GSoc 2012

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: 'Daniel Farina' <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regarding column reordering project for GSoc 2012
Date: 2012-03-19 18:21:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Atri Sharma's message of dom mar 18 01:05:23 -0300 2012:

> I am understanding the scenario now. I will take a little of your time to
> modify my original idea:
>
> The "middle layer" still exists, but NOT on the individual client side ,
> rather , on the server side. That is, we maintain the middle layer on the
> server, and it is same for all the users. We can mutate the ordering, and
> changes would be reflected in all the clients, since they are all accessing
> the same middle layer, present on the server.

I will take a little of your time to ask whether you read the older
threads on the topic -- the one that Andrew Dunstan linked to, and the
older ones, to which that email links to? This whole area has been
extensively discussed before.

In any case, I repeat what I said before: this is way too complex a
topic for it to make a good GSoC project (unless you're already
intimately familiar with the parser and executor code.) You need to
pick something smaller, more localized.