postgresql monitoring tool (GUI)

From: Filippos <filippos(dot)kal(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql monitoring tool (GUI)
Date: 2012-03-09 19:02:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

dear all,

i would like your suggestions about choosing a suitable monitoring tool (if
it exists) to cover our needs. during the last few days i have tried many of
them (i found the related info here ->
http://www.postgresql.org/download/products/1/) and so far, only EMS SQL
Manager for PostgreSQL seems to be covering most of my 'requirements'. in
general the most important requirement we have is to be able to handle the
active sessions of the server. This means, to have an overview of what is
actually running, kill the queries that cause some kind of problem and have
a view of the locks and more specifically of which query is locking what (so
as to be able to handle this situation). For the rest of my requirements, i
have already installed pgwatch which keeps useful information about
sizes,connections,idx_scans,transactions etc.
So, is there any other software that gives you an overview of what is
actually running on the server and the ability to resolve any such problems
(caused by locks, long-opened transactions etc).

thank you in advance for your suggestions

P.S(1) i dont need 'live' data from the db, i can live with polling the data
every minute or so (so i dont necessarily need an agent running and
collecting real-time data)
P.S(2) i know i could do all that from the psql client, using scripts, which
is what i am doing so far (thx to Greg Smith and Simon Riggs for their
wonderful books about postgresql's administration).
i would just like to have a GUI tool as well