Re: synchronous replication: blocking commit on the master

From: Jameison Martin <jameisonb(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: synchronous replication: blocking commit on the master
Date: 2012-02-28 06:21:24
Lists: pgsql-general

I have specific needs for wanting synchronous replication instead of asynchronous replication, notwithstanding my desire to continue processing work on the master if there are no active slaves. I would like to use  replication for both HA and for query scaling. I'd like replication to be synchronous to ensure that any slaves are up to date, and I cannot afford even the small data potential loss implied by asynchronous replication.  However, should there be a situation where no slaves are alive (e.g. there is a single slave and it fails for whatever reason), I do not want to compromise the availability of the master while the slave is being restored. Instead, I'd like to be able to continue processing transactions on the master unimpeded until a slave can be brought back online. Once a slave is caught back up to the master I'd like to switch back to synchronous replication and again be able to use the slave to scale reads and as a failover target
should the master fail.

Does that make sense?

And thanks for the suggestion about switching individual transactions synchronous_commit = local or off. That could be of use in achieving my goal, albeit clumsily and with intervention on the client. I suppose a client could detect that a slave is no longer available, could then send an interrupt to all connections with pending work, and then set synchronous_commit=local on all connections before further work is submitted to the master.

Thanks.