Re: Consistent timestamp input

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Consistent timestamp input
Date: 2003-06-23 21:05:08
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
> This one bugged me so much, I made a patch for it. It enforces
> consistent interpretation of date input:

This cannot be right can it? The code used to check EuroDates and now
it doesn't. ISTM you must have broken either Euro or US format.

Also, I thought that the consensus on -general was that the heuristics
involving looking at the range of the values were a bad idea. (While
I disagree, I can recognize a lost cause when I see one.) You've still
got them in there. ISTM the code ought to assume MM before DD if ISO
or Euro style, otherwise (US style) assume DD before MM, and then reject
if out of range, rather than allowing the range to determine which is
which.