Re: vacumm error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stefanos Harhalakis <v13(at)it(dot)teithe(dot)gr>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacumm error
Date: 2002-11-27 02:44:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Stefanos Harhalakis <v13(at)it(dot)teithe(dot)gr> writes:
> I'm running postgresql 7.2.1 on linux.
> I cannot run vacuumm on a table in a database i'm running for about 7 months.
> I get:

> ERROR: No one parent tuple was found

> I've found an older posting about that but the poster said that after
> restarting it was fixed. In my case this is not true.

There is a known form of this problem that does not go away on restart.
I can't recall at the moment if it's fixed in 7.2.3 or not (been a long
day ...) It is definitely fixed for 7.3 though.

If you don't want to update to 7.3 in the near future, I think there is
a workaround involving doing SELECT FOR UPDATE to clear out the bogus
state. Check the pghackers archives from back around August for
details.