Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq

From: Alexander Shulgin <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq
Date: 2011-11-29 20:02:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Alexander Shulgin's message of Sat Nov 26 22:07:21 +0200 2011:

> So how about this:
>
> postgresql:ssl://user:pw(at)host:port/dbname?sslmode=...
>
> The "postgresql:ssl://" designator would assume "sslmode=require", if not overriden in extra parameters and "postgresql://" would imply "sslmode=prefer". And to disable SSL you would pick either designator and append "sslmode=disable".
>
> The JDBC's "ssl=true" will translate to "sslmode=require".

Hey, I'm going to assume "no objections" equals "positive feedback" and continue hacking in this direction.

> If we can decide on this, we should also put reasonable effort into making JDBC support the same syntax.

What would be our plan on this? Since the syntax proposed here is strictly a superset of the existing JDBC syntax, I would think this qualifies as an improvement and it would be backwards compatible with any previous version of the JDBC connector.

--
Alex