Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Alexander Shulgin <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq
Date: 2011-11-24 13:54:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Martijn van Oosterhout's message of jue nov 24 04:40:42 -0300 2011:

> How about the "service" option, that's a nice way of handling
> non-default socket options.

What about it? Are you suggesting we should support some way to specify
a service name in the URI?

If so, consider this: if you set up a pg_service.conf file, and then
pass around a URI that specifies a service, no one else can use the URI
until you also pass around the service file.

So, in that light, do we still think that letting the user specify a
service name in the URI makes sense? (My personal opinion is yes).