Re: Odd subselect in target list behavior WRT aggregates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mike Mascari" <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Odd subselect in target list behavior WRT aggregates
Date: 2003-01-24 15:22:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Mike Mascari" <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com> writes:
> Hello. I have some code which generates subselects in the target
> list of a query and then aggregates the results. The code allows
> the user to determine the attributes of the aggregation. If the
> user chooses to aggregate on the same value twice, I get the
> "Sub-SELECT" error. If the user chooses a different second
> attribute of aggregation, no error occurs. Is that correct
> behavior?

This seems to be fixed as of 7.3, though I do not recall a previous
bug report like it.

However, I wonder why you are doing it like that, and not with a join:

SELECT SUM(p.dstqty) as agg,
date_trunc('hour', sales.active) as field1,
date_trunc('day', sales.active) as field2
FROM purchases p, sales
WHERE p.purchase = sales.purchase
AND ...
GROUP BY 2,3;

The multiple-sub-select approach will require a separate probe into
"sales" to retrieve each of the fields; there's no optimization across
different subselects.