Re: language name case sensitivity, also known as plpgsql <> 'PLpgSQL'

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregg Jaskiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: language name case sensitivity, also known as plpgsql <> 'PLpgSQL'
Date: 2012-03-26 17:27:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Gregg Jaskiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 26 March 2012 16:41, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
>> Probably something to do with this:
>> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=67dc4eed42186ba6a2456578899bfd38d003201a

> Would you call it a regression ?

It's an intentional change to make handling of language names less
bizarrely different from every other name in SQL. Personally, I'd
recommend getting rid of the single quotes. Use of a string literal for
a language name has been poor style since 7.2 or thereabouts, and it is
foreseeable that at some point we'd stop accepting string literals for
this purpose altogether.