Re: Regarding the shared disk fail over cluster configuration

From: Debasis Mishra <debasis1982(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regarding the shared disk fail over cluster configuration
Date: 2011-11-02 15:55:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks a lot Ondrej Ivanic.I have few more doubts.

1)While installing the postgress it asks for the data directory,which i
refer to SAN volume(Shared LUN)-(example - /dbdata/pgsqldata).

After that i am exporting $PGDATA= SAN Volume(example - /dbdata/pgsqldata).
Where /dbdata is the shared LUN .

Then I am running initdb - but it is not running successfully. The Error is
/dbdata/pgsqldata is not empty.

Because I can understand while installation postgress creates
files/directory in the data folder. While running initdb also it is trying
to create some directory which is already present.

So I am not sure how to go ahead with this scenario.

2) Regarding the shared disk failover clustering you mentioned that if
primary fails , cluster should bring it down and start postgres in secondary
node.

My doubt is - Whether cluster should start the postgres service in secondary
node during failover or postgress will be running always. My undersatnding
was in both the node postgress will be running and pointing to shared
dbdata. And if node1/primary fails then cluster software should bring
node2/secondary up.once it will bring node2 online there postgress must be
running already.

Is this feasible?

Thanks,
Debasis