Re: GiST for range types (was Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor)

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GiST for range types (was Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor)
Date: 2011-11-01 04:33:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 15:05 +0400, Alexander Korotkov wrote:

> I think implementing subtype_diff for each datatype is ok. We could
> implement some universal function based on minus operator and casting
> to double precision. But such solution might be unacceptable in
> both predictability (operator and casting function might do not the
> things we expect) and performance.

Done.

Everything is complete in this patch with the exception of two optional
things, which I still intend to do but might best be done in a separate
commit:

* support typmod for ranges
* support casts between different range types

Both of these things, I believe, require the introduction of an
RangeCoerceExpr, similar to ArrayCoerceExpr. That's fine, but it creates
a rather large diff, so it might be best left for a later commit.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
rangetypes-20111101.gz application/x-gzip 49.5 KB