Re: BUG #15511: Drop table error "invalid argument"

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: ertugrul9090(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15511: Drop table error "invalid argument"
Date: 2019-02-05 11:28:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 07/12/2018 00:38, Tom Lane wrote:
> ... so my preliminary result is that there's a *boatload* of "invalid"
> format strings in our translation files, all of them apparently with
> the extra-space disease. See attached.

A bit of follow-up: I have committed fixes for all the erroneous uses
of space "flags" in translated format strings. These will then be in
the next minor releases.

I also looked into the gettext/msgfmt source code. We know that it does
check for format string compatibility, but I found that it only checks
the general type, not the formatting flags. I suppose this is not
unreasonable, since a translation might want to space or align something
differently. So we still don't have an easy way to check for this in
the future.