Re: lexemes in prefix search going through dictionary modifications

From: Sushant Sinha <sushant354(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: lexemes in prefix search going through dictionary modifications
Date: 2011-10-25 16:47:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 18:05 +0200, Florian Pflug wrote:
> On Oct25, 2011, at 17:26 , Sushant Sinha wrote:
> > I am currently using the prefix search feature in text search. I find
> > that the prefix characters are treated the same as a normal lexeme and
> > passed through stemming and stopword dictionaries. This seems like a bug
> > to me.
>
> Hm, I don't think so. If they don't pass through stopword dictionaries,
> then queries containing stopwords will fail to find any rows - which is
> probably not what one would expect.

I think what you are saying a feature is really a bug. I am fairly sure
that when someone says to_tsquery('english', 's:*') one is looking for
an entry that has a *non-stopword* word that starts with 's'. And
specially so in a text search configuration that eliminates stop words.

Does it even make sense to stem, abbreviate, synonym for a few letters?
It will be so unpredictable.

-Sushant.