Re: Indexes slower when used in decending vs. ascending order?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Alasdair Young" <ayoung(at)vigilos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Indexes slower when used in decending vs. ascending order?
Date: 2006-04-12 03:09:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Alasdair Young" <ayoung(at)vigilos(dot)com> writes:
> (Now I just need to get Postgres 8.0 running on a RedHat 7.2/7.3 box :)

Um ... I work for Red Hat, so I think I have to slip you the bad news
twice today: no sane person would still be running that OS version
either. 7.2 was obsolete about the time I went to work at Red Hat
(in 2001).

If you want something that was current last year and is probably pretty
stable now, PG 8.0.x on Fedora Core 4 would be a good bet. Personally
I'd recommend PG 8.1.x on FC5 if you are just looking at deploying now.
It'll be much more maintainable a year or two out.