Schema grants for creating and dropping objects

From: Marc Munro <marc(at)bloodnok(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Schema grants for creating and dropping objects
Date: 2011-10-09 00:41:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It seems that in order to create an object in a given schema, I must
have been granted create privilege on the schema. But in order to drop
that object I require usage privilege.

This means that with the right privilege settings I can create objects
that I cannot subsequently drop, or can drop an object that I cannot
recreate.

I assume this is a bug but if it's intended behaviour I'd love to hear
the rationale.

I checked this on 8.3, 8.4, 9.0 and 9.1 all with the same results.

Best regards.
__
Marc