Re: Error on pg_dumpall

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error on pg_dumpall
Date: 2008-04-29 14:45:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu> writes:
> I'm having a problem that I hope you can help me with. I am getting
> the following error when I try to run pg_dumpall.

> postgres(at)machine1:~$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dumpall
> pg_dumpall: could not connect to database "template1": could not
> connect to server: No such file or directory
> Is the server running locally and accepting
> connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

> If I run the command "psql template1", I can connect to template1
> just fine.

Does "which psql" say that you're using the psql in
/usr/local/pgsql/bin?

It sounds to me a bit like you have two sets of PG programs with
different default port numbers compiled into them. Which port is
the server actually listening on?

> This is a new installation of postgresql 8.3 on a Debian Linux
> machine.

Debian is a rather nasty environment for custom-built PG installations,
because they have their own ideas of where to put the PG programs
and what port numbers they should run on. I'm thinking you are
connecting to a Debian-supplied postmaster on a non-standard port,
and not to your own installation at all.