Re: Performance problems with a higher number of clients

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alfranio Correia Junior <alfranio(at)lsd(dot)di(dot)uminho(dot)pt>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance problems with a higher number of clients
Date: 2003-12-11 14:54:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

Alfranio Correia Junior <alfranio(at)lsd(dot)di(dot)uminho(dot)pt> writes:
> I am facing a problem trying to put 500 concurrent users accessing
> a postgresql instance.

I think you're going to need to buy more RAM. 1Gb of RAM means there
is a maximum of 2Mb available per Postgres process before you start
to go into swap hell --- in practice a lot less, since you have to allow
for other things like the kernel and other applications.

AFAIR TPC-C doesn't involve any complex queries, so it's possible you
could run it with only 1Mb of workspace per process, but not when
you've configured

> sort_mem = 10240

That's ten times more than your configuration can possibly support.
(I don't recall whether TPC-C uses any queries that would sort, so
it's possible this setting isn't affecting you; but if you are doing
any sorts then it's killing you.)

Bottom line is you probably need more RAM.