Re: Runaway backend at 100% CPU PostgreSQL v8.3.5

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Runaway backend at 100% CPU PostgreSQL v8.3.5
Date: 2009-01-06 23:21:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Stephen R. van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl> writes:
> It seems that the backend is stuck in some kind of endless loop. Since
> it's a production Debian server, the backend is not compiled with debugging
> turned on. The best I can do is ltrace it, in hopes of someone recognising
> the infinite sequence.

Well, it seems to be repeatedly executing a SPI call, which suggests but
doesn't prove that it's in a PL function ... but how would it get into
one while in PARSE state?

Anyway there's not much data here. You might try attaching to the
backend process with gdb and trying "bt" and "p debug_query_string";
I think you should get something out of that even without debug symbols.
If not, maybe turning on query logging would be worthwhile.