Re: PostGIS dropgeometrycolumn function (Was: Re: [7.4]

From: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, dblasby(at)refractions(dot)net
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostGIS dropgeometrycolumn function (Was: Re: [7.4]
Date: 2004-02-03 19:13:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bitter experience... I am going to cc Dave here, because I could swear
we went through many conniptions trying to make this work.

And yet I just did this:

create view mytables as select relname from pg_class where relam = 0
and relname not like 'pg_%';

And it seems to work fine.

Oh, now I remember. The deal was not views, it was triggers. Since our
geometry_columns contains some information not available via a query on
existing data, a trigger was what we wanted, so we could harvest the
information from a variety of places, and have some spare columns for
things like the geometry selectivity stats.

Paul

On Tuesday, February 3, 2004, at 11:00 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net> writes:
>> In an idea world though, we would construct the thing as a view, so
>> that when you did a CREATE TABLE that included a geometry type, you
>> would automatically get a row in geometry_columns. That requires a
>> view
>> on system tables though, and that just does not work. :/
>
> Uh, what makes you say it doesn't work?
>
> regards, tom lane

Paul Ramsey
Refractions Research