Re: memory barriers (was: Yes, WaitLatch is vulnerable to weak-memory-ordering bugs)

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: memory barriers (was: Yes, WaitLatch is vulnerable to weak-memory-ordering bugs)
Date: 2011-09-22 23:46:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 19:12 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> But since you asked... as I
> understand it, unless you're running on Alpha, you actually don't need
> a barrier here at all, because all currently-used CPUs other than
> alpha "respect data dependencies", which means that if q->num_items is
> used to compute an address to be read from memory, the CPU will ensure
> that the read of that address is performed after the read of the value
> used to compute the address. At least that's my understanding. But
> Alpha won't.

I'm still trying to figure out how it's even possible to read an address
that's not computed yet. Something sounds strange about that...

I think it might have more to do with branch prediction or something
else. In your example, the address is not computed from q->num_items
directly, it's computed using "i". But that branch being followed is
dependent on a comparison with q->num_items. Maybe that's the dependency
that's not respected?

Regards,
Jeff Davis