Re: Problem with pg_upgrade

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Payal Singh <payals1(at)umbc(dot)edu>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with pg_upgrade
Date: 2012-07-05 22:28:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Payal Singh <payals1(at)umbc(dot)edu> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au> wrote:
>> If you start 9.1 on a copy of the backup then cleanly stop it again, does
>> pg_upgrade then run?

> Thank you. That worked.

ISTM that pg_upgrade should check that the old cluster was shut down
cleanly, ie pg_control has state = "shut down". AFAICT from some
testing, it currently only checks that there is no postmaster.pid file,
which is easily bypassed by users who might not realize that it's not
safe to run pg_upgrade against a filesystem backup.

BTW, I also noticed while trying to test this that pg_upgrade is
currently completely broken for the case of taking PGDATAOLD or
PGDATANEW from the environment rather than switches. This is because
the existing coding in option.c fails to set up the "pgconfig" fields
in such cases.