Re: Thinking about inventing MemoryContextSetParent

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thinking about inventing MemoryContextSetParent
Date: 2011-09-12 16:42:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of sáb sep 10 19:03:23 -0300 2011:
> I'm considering inventing a new mcxt.c primitive,
>
> void MemoryContextSetParent(MemoryContext context, MemoryContext new_parent);
>
> which would have the effect of delinking "context" from its current
> parent context and attaching it as a child of the new specified parent.
> (Any child contexts that it has would naturally follow along.)
> Because of the way that mcxt.c handles parent/child links, there is no
> palloc required and so the operation cannot fail.

Interesting. I wonder whether we could use this somehow to fix
performance problems in certain subtransaction code paths that "reassign
stuff to the parent"; instead of moving pointers or memory around,
perhaps we could do something like this. Not that I have actually
looked into it.